Statement of Purpose
Trinity Baptist Preschool was established by Trinity Baptist Church as an educational service and outreach ministry for the parents and children of Sherwood Park and the surrounding rural areas of Strathcona County.
We believe that each child is unique and should be encouraged to further their social and intellectual abilities at their own rate of development. This will be accomplished by means of a combination of individual and group child-directed free play experiences and individual and group teacher-directed structured learning experiences. Each child will be guided toward self-awareness, self-discipline, self-choice, a sense of personal responsibility and an awareness of the needs of those around them. It is the desire of Trinity Baptist Preschool caregivers that the preschool children placed into our care be surrounded by an atmosphere of mutual respect and loving appreciation for one another and for God. We are committed to providing an environment in which the total personality of each child will be developed through participating in educational “hands on” play experiences of lasting value as well as structured times of learning and instruction.
- Spiritually – Each child will be given the opportunity to observe and participate in songs, stories, crafts, and games of a Biblical nature that will deepen the child’s awareness of God’s love for them.
- Emotionally – Each child will be given the opportunity to develop self-awareness and self-expression in a safe environment free from teasing, ridicule and other forms of verbal or physical harm from other children in the classroom or from the caregivers.
- Socially – Each child will be given the opportunity to participate in circle group activities, to develop a sense of belonging, and to learn about cooperating with others. Show and share will be held eachd ay on a rotating basis to give the children exposure to communicating with their classmates. Caregivers will also make the effort to speak with each child individually at least once during the morning.
- Physically – Each child will be given the opportunity to participate in physical activities both in and out-of-doors that will develop their large and small muscle coordination and motor skills.
- Intellectually – Each child will be encouraged to develop a positive attitude toward learning through both child-directed and teacher-directed play experiences of lasting value. These experiences will include exploring the basic concepts of letters, numbers, sizes shapes, colors, opposites, rhyming words, and beginning to learn to print their name.
- Creativity – Each child will be encouraged to think and work creatively. Circle time will include open discussions with time for both caregivers and children to ask questions and to receive responses from the entire group. Individual expression in art and craft activities will be applauded.